Forum:Reorganization of the whole Uncycs: Episode II: Leaving Carlb
Hello I am Andras Alka from Unciklopedia (hu). English is not a first language to me so sorry for the mistake.
I think it is time to consider leaving UncycloMedia which is Carlb.
The reasoning is the following:
- The servers have many many downtime especially compared to Miraheze and Uncyclopedia.co where some other languages move to after Wikia closed down.
- The support from Carlb can take a very long time and Portugese community make very clear complaints of this.
- The Carlb servers often have many technical problems that are not present elsewhere.
- Outdated MediaWiki installs with other projects frequently updated.
- No SSL support on some UncycloMedia servers.
- Difficult to manage some aspects of a wiki without Carlb intervene such as Abuse Filter.
I know a lot of Uncyclopedia use Carlb but I dont think its a good option any longer.
I think projects should choose one of the following and work to make the move:
- Shout Wiki
- Independent Hosting
Here are the brief comparisons to help you choose the right place.
|current Uncycs||Italian, Polish, Chinese, etc.||The English Uncyc/Illogico||Russian, Two of the Germans, etc.||None||Many|
|CentralAuth||Yes||No||No||Something alike, but not exactly||No|
|Local AbuseFilter||Yes||Yes||Depends||Yes||Yes, but blocking is not allowed|
|Common Image repository||Yes (Miraheze commons)||No (or not working)||No||Yes||Yes|
|Instant Commons (images from Wikimedia Commons)||Yes||Yes||Depends||Yes||Yes|
|Errors||few||few||Depends, but generally likely||Few||often|
|Tech-Supports||fast||not too slow||Depends||not too slow||very slow|
|Easy management of Extensions, Namespaces, Logos, and Permissions by local crats (Special:ManageWiki)||Yes||No||No||No||No|
|Custom domain names (example.org instead of example.wikia.com or example.miraheze.org)||Yes||Unknown||Yes||No||Yes (various .org's already registered)|
|Downloadable XML and image dumps||On manual request||No||On manual request (for example database dump from Polish community)||On manual request||Yes (download.uncyc.org)|
|License||Choosable by the locals||Needs sysadmins help
Uncyc is CC-BY-NC-SA
|Depends||CC-BY-SA||CC-BY-NC-SA (bjaodn.org is GFDL)|
- Oppose. Carlb's servers have done just fine since circa 2005-2006. There is no need to move any of his wikis, and moving the massive pt.uncyc to another server would be a nightmare. KamafaDelgato (talk) 21:34, 26 July 2019 (UTC)
- I would like to know if this is a decision of your community or if this is a bad joke. Let me explain further, first this forum was created to guide wikis expelled from Wikia/Fandom to find a new server. Carlb himself mentioned that wikis belonging to UnMeta would not be hit in the event of a transfer.
- And the only time I worried that the servers couldn't bear the brunt of too many large wikis coming here was denied by Carlb himself. In this regard, I supported as much as possible in contacting some non-operational wikis to enter the debate. At no time, even with prior knowledge of server capacity as well as server defects and those who support them.
- This is exactly why I want to know if there is consensus among your community about this change or if it is an opinion of a user with a 5 day account who was unable to keep 3 articles that were deleted. If I do not have a convincing answer my vote will be against any exit from a UnMeta wiki without a clear reason. Rhubella Marie, the rat sockpreppie 3,140 preppiedits 00:34, 27 July 2019 (UTC)
Hi! I'm a bureaucrat from Uncyclopedia.co, and we would love to host Unciklopedia. We have experience moving and hosting very large wikis successfully, beginning with our own move from Wikia in 2013, to Inciclopedia (Spanish Uncyclopedia) just two months ago, and others in-between. You may be interested in joining our two main methods of communication: the UnMeta Discord server (for all languages) and the official Uncyclopedia server (for the English site). Our tech team consists of expert MediaWiki developers and volunteers, and the response time for tech support is within the hour, and sometimes instantaneous. We urge you - no matter where you choose to do it - to move away from CarlB as quickly as you can. He receives tons of complaints each week regarding his hosting and treatment of hosted communities, and is currently involved in a lawsuit related to his Uncyclopedia projects. The sooner you move, the better chance you have of getting away unscathed. Contact us on our Discord, or drop me a line on my talk page for more details on our hosting. Cheers! → (talk) 00:57 27 July 2019
- Aimsplode that user created an account yesterday and his articles were deleted as they were under 5 lines. I believe it's a vandal creating confusion. However, as I saw that there is an initiative on your part I am even willing to listen and request that other wikis can hear if you take over this forum. But I already report that there were failed attempts during the March-April talks.
- If you are of interest you should look for the user OsvátA, who was the bureaucrat who eliminated Andras Akla's short articles. Rhubella Marie, the rat sockpreppie 3,140 preppiedits 01:26, 27 July 2019 (UTC)
- If I understand correctly, the user who posted the (now-deleted) stubs to Unciklopedia is in Hungary, while the sockpuppet who created this thread is in Japan. As for whether uncyclopedia.co is any better than this server? The en.spoon tried to move there, only to have Lyrithya never open the wiki for login or edit. They ultimately gave up and went to https://uncyclopedia.ca - as an independent. There are a few others that went to .co, but many of them are having worse issues than I'm seeing here - for instance, not being able to make outbound interwiki links because a whole bunch of "in other languages" sidebar data still points to Wikia from both de: and fr:
- It's best to presume that nothing in this thread has anything to do with hu: - you've been duped again by the same trolls who have been disrupting ja.uncyclopedia.info for months now. Sorry to disappoint you... so sue me? Carlb (talk) 20:23, 28 July 2019 (UTC)
- I understand, however, I had not done the IP check because I did not consider it important and just checked the origin of the IP. I already knew it was just a sock puppet, but I preferred to wait for the Hungarian administrator's response.
- However, I also note in the forum that there was a failed exit vote for Wikimerda for Miraheze that was set by 1 vote against the exit, with several neutral votes. A new vote may give a different result. In addition, a new vote in Desciclopédia may also give unexpected results. Rhubella Marie, the rat sockpreppie 3,140 preppiedits 20:32, 28 July 2019 (UTC)
Well, since I loathe discussing the same subject continuously, I was asked to seek assistance on the pros and cons of choosing a new server, and we came to the conclusion that the best choice would be Lyrithia's server. So I went looking for her a few hours ago and the result can be seen in her discussion at Uncyclopedia.
As a result, Wikimerda users have come to the conclusion that Lyrithya's server is more reliable than Miraheze's, so I am voting to decide whether to leave UnMeta. Rhubella Marie, the rat sockpreppie 3,140 preppiedits 17:00, 17 August 2019 (UTC)
I think discussing this topic here is not a very good idea, as UnMeta does not function well as a Meta wiki for discussing global matters (yes, it's un-meta) - thus my proposal regarding departure is that:
- Every local community should be notified that they can have a local vote whether to stay on the current server or to leave.
- They should decide whether they should have a vote by themselves.
- Carlb and other stakeholders should respect any local voting results - if the locals decide to leave, he should let them go (unlike Wikia/Fandom did before they decide to kick our sisters), and if they don't, outsiders should not intervene further on each local communities.
- I already agree that I commented that in the discord yesterday. I opened the conversation on Wikimerda where edit users of 6 wikis in common (Desgalipedia/Çciclopédia/Wikimierda/Galimerda, Wikimerda and Malucopédia). That is, a block of 6 wikis in a single forum conversation. I believe there are still dissatisfied in the Desciclopédia with server crashes. The only way to convince them would be to state that the servers have no adsense. Rhubella Marie, the rat sockpreppie 3,140 preppiedits 19:46, 28 July 2019 (UTC)
- The main concern with downtime is Ansaikuropedia, as any server problems which fall in the middle of the night here fall in peak usage times there. I've moved all of the affected content to another server, which looks to have resolved the issue. The bug report thread (in Japanese) is ja:Forum:バグの報告. Carlb (talk) 16:56, 7 August 2019 (UTC)
I'll repeat what I commented on Discord
In pt.uncy: If you wanna change the host, just go for it yourselves. We have no interest in leaving Carlb. I don't know what you mean by "Portuguese community". Most of our users, probably more than 99%, are Brazilian.
In summary, in three open forum to discuss this issue there is not even attention from users. This issue will be addressed in any other forum open anywhere in UnMeta. Not on UnMeta itself, not even on any wiki as communities are devoted to Carlb even with the numerous server issues.
Another issue is, although a Malucopedia bureaucrat thinks UnMeta's exit is interesting, he needs to take the matter to a vote where it can give the opposite result (there are 3 active users).
Ok, would you rather continue this story? I already think this "I Hate Carlb" speech is already tiring and besides, a word to The Pionner, if you don't stop these questions you may lose even what I had built at Miraheze due not only to my inactivity there. I might as well get Desligapedia from there and host (at least) on Uncy.co. Rhubella Marie, the rat sockpreppie 3,140 preppiedits 04:59, 4 August 2019 (UTC)
I hear there's an ongoing lawsuit between Carlb and folks on .co - andI'm not the main campaigner of this "I hate Carlb" thing. What I wish is merely giving every community a chance for seeking the best host (which will probably encourage every host to improve their issues as well), and for those who think current host is fine, I won't do anything.--The Pioneer (talk) 16:35, 4 August 2019 (UTC)
- Striking out my misunderstandings.--The Pioneer (talk) 16:46, 4 August 2019 (UTC)
Yes in that case it's true, I think it's the problem of withholding .org.I will close this discussion here. Rhubella Marie, the rat sockpreppie 3,140 preppiedits 16:51, 4 August 2019 (UTC)
- I’m so sad to hear that you’re leaving Carlb. He has edited pages in the MediaWiki namespace at Uncyclopaedia, after I requested him to do it at Desciclopédia. Here are the following I requested him to edit:
- @Carlb I understood, and would like to agree with the case. But in the disagreement, you can understand that users of the old UncyWikia plus Miraheze are determined to remove UnMeta wikis. I can only say that there are three parallel conversations in the three main Brazilian wikis (DP, Wikinet and Wikimerda) but in none of them there is even motivation to read the exit petition. Even at Desciclo, they stated that the place of discourse should be in UnMeta itself while the conspiracyists wanted to leave this forum.
- @Ahmed03 For God's sake, what the hell did you get on this forum? This is a problem between wikis, this comment really has nothing to do with the problem we're facing Rhubella Marie, the rat sockpreppie 3,140 preppiedits 02:59, 8 August 2019 (UTC)